Thursday, February 13, 2003

I finally got around to reading the National Post story (see the links here before they expire) on one guy's experience as an at-home father. It sounded true to form: the isolation, the challenge, the female-centeredness of it all.

A couple of things caught my eye. The first was that the series was ever published. It is a Rebel Dad tenet that the more press there is about dads taking an at-home plunge (even if it's only for a set duration, as was the case in the National Post series), the easier it will be for more dads to jump in. And when such an endorsement and publicity comes from the National Post, which errs on the conservative side of the spectrum, it's all the better.

The second item I need to educate myself on is the Employment Insurance program they have in Canada, which provides for a) a ton of family leave that b) dads can use. I have to confess that I know little of the way that bureaucracy works or how the compensation happens, but I get the impression that the Canadians have made a commitment to keeping parents with kids for the first year, which is one heck of a laudable goal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home