Tuesday, June 24, 2003

The real reason why at-home dads are so under-represented in the population at large was revealed to me last night. As part of my seedy second life, I was attending an awards dinner for biotech-y types. The subject of my at-home daddying emerged, and I launched into my usual schpiel: "For all the gender equity progress in the last 50 years, men-as-caregivers seems to be the final frontier, and I like trying to figure out why that is."

With nary a pause, an older gentleman at the other side of the table deadpanned: "I'll tell you why: The work is too damned hard." True, true ... but the benefits are indeed extraordinary.

Back to the media: the latest supporter of stay-at-home parents? REO Speedwagon singer Kevin Cronin, who apparently told a Peoria crowd that at-home parents (OK, OK, he used "mothers") were real workers. The column that featured that nugget does mention that some of us soccer moms are dads, and it provides a nice bit of support for those whose hard work never earns a paycheck.

And here's a proposal I can get behind: a stay-at-home parent day, where we can do whatever the heck we want. Mark your calendars: June 30. (Truth be told, I got that on Father's Day, so I won't be devastated if the trend doesn't take off this year.)

Finally, let me flag this Kansas City Star column that suggests the coverage of the Census report was a little off-kilter and then hit upon this gem of a thought: "The real story behind the census numbers should be choice. Wouldn't it be wonderful if parents who wanted to could afford to stay at home with their children?" Wonderful indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home