Monday, August 25, 2003

Making good on my 'no new (posts about) taxes' pledge, I'd like to point out some new writings on dads. The first (courtesy of sharp-eyed Being Daddy) is actually a bit stale (it ran earlier this month). But the column by Wall Street Journal work/family guru Sue Shellenbarger is an important read. It notes the advantages to certain kinds of dad-kid interactions and highlights what everyone should suspect: high-earning and long-hour-working dads tend to spend less time with their children. The points made aren't earthshattering, but the more they're repeated (and the more they start to sink in with dads) the better.

Secondly, the Santa Cruz Sentinel has this interesting little piece by a clinical psycologist serves as rah-rah bit for at-home dads. It's almost a Stuart Smalley kind of thing, light on news value and filled with lines like this "Regard the less than approving comments and looks as a sign of misguided understanding." It may be cheesy, but I'll take the affirmation. After all, I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and, doggone it, people like me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home