Wednesday, November 26, 2003

First of all, a big kudos to the guys who put on the annual at-home dad convention. It went over wonderfully. The actual program (which is really secondary) was very, very well-done, with heavy emphasis on very convention-esque "breakout sessions" that gave ample opportunity for us to talk to each other.

That is, of course, the whole point of the gathering. Unlike a meeting of, say, cardiologists, the room isn't packed with guys wanting to know what the newest findings in the field of fatherhood are. The room is packed with guys looking to connect with fathers who are as passionate about at-home fatherhood as they are. It's a vaccination against isolation, a reminder that there are lots of guys in our exact position, however rare at-home dads seem to be when we saunter into the coffeeshop or the playground.

In that regard, the pre-convention festivities (which I missed this year) and the post-convention activities (which I made) are the most important element. And those went off great, too. I feel like I shared a beer with just about everyone there, leaving with more friends, more contacts, than I could have imagined.

Next year the program is getting even beefier, with a presentation by the only person to have done any good research lately on at-home dads, Yale's Kyle Pruett. I'm blocking off the weekend on my calendar now.

Of course, I now need to make the predictable complaint about the whole shindig: the timing is terrible. Holding the convention the weekend before Thanksgiving complicates travel plans. I'd estimate that less than 10 percent of the guys (excluding speakers) at the event flew in, making it a regional convention, rather than a true national meeting. Move the meeting back a month (or even a week) and I'd be willing to bet attendance soars.

There's more to write, and I'm trying to put it into a publishable form ... feel free to share your experieces in the comments section.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home