Sunday, January 18, 2004

I dare say it's time for a new Rebel Dad contest. I was flipping through my soon-to-expire Better Homes and Gardens when I was whacked with an ad for Dixieware, a new kind of throwaway Tupperware-style containers with a microwave vent. Here is the pitch: "Now even men can keep the microwave clean."

So here is the next challenge: I'm looking for the absolute worst gender stereotyping about roles at home in a commercial message. I've mentioned, in the past, the Nissan Quest ad ("Moms have changed."), and a few others come to mind (Kix: "Kid tested, mother approved," Clorox: "Mama's got the magic."). Ads knocking dads (like the stupid flu vaccine one of this winter) will be scored higher than ones that simply imply that household jobs/kids are mom-work. But especially good mom-centric ads are welcome.

As always, beer to the winner (because, let's face it, I'm a sucker for stereotypes about beer. And the stereotypes that drive beer ads make for much, much more humorous commercials than the stereotypes that drive household product ads).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home