Monday, November 08, 2004

Convention Press Alert: Bob Frank and Barry Reszel managed to get this nice piece about at-home dads placed in their hometown paper (Chicago Tribune, Reg. required.) The main suggestion in the article -- at-home dads rarely divorce -- is certainly a positive one, though I'm not sure that the research supports that. But the underlying reasoning is sound: dads who stay home tend to have rich family lives.

The placement of the first major convention story of the year has prompted me to open the final pre-convention Rebel Dad contest: any attendee (other than Barry) who can get their local paper to cover their trip to Oakton wins beers from me in Chicago. It shouldn't be a stretch. Call the metro desk (or a metro columnist) at your paper and tell 'em what you're up to. Or offer to write up a first-person take on your experience. (Not an impossible task. A few weeks after I launched this site, I had my convention reflections published by my local paper. If I can do it, so can you.)

I've spoken to a great many dads who say they'd love to get more attention for the local at-home dad group, but the media blows them off. Here is a chance to give them an "event" to hang the story on. (If you're shy, e-mail me and I'll call/e-mail your paper for you. But don't expect me to buy beer, too.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home