Thursday, December 09, 2004

News from around the blogosphere: Let me start with Ms. Musings, which posted this bit regarding the TV show "ER." I really don't watch much ER anymore, so I missed the introduction of a new -- if marginal -- TV at-home dad:
Also last month, I recorded this bit of dialogue between Dr. Kerry Weaver and Dr. Susan Lewis from the TV show ER. It is titled ?The Swiftest Resolution to the Work/Motherhood Dilemma Ever Broadcast on a TV Drama?:

Weaver: Let me guess, you want to extend your maternity leave.
Lewis: I was wondering if you found a replacement for the chief of emergency medicine.
Weaver: No. Is there someone you want to recommend?
Lewis: Yeah, me.
Weaver: Well, I tried to offer you the position before, and you turned me down.
Lewis: That was pre-baby.
Weaver: Post-baby that bad?
Lewis: Turns out I like kids better when they?re not sucking the life force out me, and Chuck doesn?t mind being a stay-at-home dad so long as we can make up for lost income.
Weaver: A grand more per week with a two-year commitment?
Lewis: Deal. When do I start?
Daddy Types dug up this great newspaper story about the Japanese city of Ota, where men will be forced to take 40 days paternity leave and then report back to their colleague. In a country where 0.4 percent of men take any paternity leave, this is radical stuff. Worth watching.

Finally, Jammer over at Homo domesticus has decided to chase some of his writing and acting goals and is walking away from the title of "at-home dad." Fortunately, it sounds like he'll remain one, by my liberal definition. Best of luck, Jammer, with everything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home