Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Transitions

It's been a bit quiet around here lately, and I wanted to you you all know why:

Almost two weeks ago, I accepted a job offer, and I gave notice to my current employer last week. Those who have closely read this blog for the last couple of years know that I've been working a full-time but flexible schedule for the past 16 months, a schedule that has allowed me a fair amount of freedom when it comes to family time. With the new gig, I'll be trading a great deal of that flexibility in. I thought
you all should know.

I'll be working from home, which is nice, but I'll be moving out of the primary caretaker role and into the I'll be the primary wage-earner role. The change is exciting (and a bit terrifying).

One of the accidental advantages of the name "Rebel Dad" is that there's nothing inherent in the term that disqualifies go-to-work dads from adopting it. I'll keep up the site, and though I'll probably talk a bit more about paid work, I plan to continue to write about at-home dads. I think it's important that someone keep an eye out, and it's a topic that's close to my heart. But you'll also probably get more stories about go-to-work dads and the ways they struggle with work-family balance.

As most of you know, there is real at-home dad news from the last 24 houts. The Today Show did a relatively long segment on at-home dads, talking to RebelConventionRoommate Chris and some of the other Seattle dads, plus an extended one-on-one with Peter Baylies and Ann Curry. I haven't been this exited about a.m. television since my mother was on with Matt Lauer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home