Wednesday, February 19, 2003

Hogan Hilling, a stay-at-home dad who edges Rebel Dad in both the height and the number-of-books-published categories raises an interesting point about the prospect of paternity leave ("parental crack" -- try it and you'll want more of it): men are so career-focuses that paying them for paternity leave stillwouldn't boost the rates of men taking the leave.

This makes sad sense to me. Once upon a time, Rebel Dad worked at a place with paid leave for dads, and I immediately took 'em up on their offer when my little one was born. Despite the fact that the policy had been in place for months, I was the first that I know of to take advantage. It was a wonderful experience, and one that eventually drove me into the at-home dad pantry. Too bad that more folks didn't take the chance to see the light.

I'll take reactions on this one: would we get more dads to take leave if we paid 'em?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home