Monday, December 08, 2003

Nothing warms the cockles of my heart like the radical notion that at-home fatherhood should be something that researchers examine. Regular readers know that I'm stat-starved. I want to know how many of us there are, where we come from, what advantages and disadvantages we're givng our kids, our wives and outselves by the decision to be Rebel Dads.

So I was thrilled to hear that some academics in Canada, the source of so much interesting dad news, are planning a $1.6 million analysis of us. The motivation:"'Our goal is to bring fatherhood out of the shadows,' said Kerry Daly, a professor at University of Guelph's department of family research and co-chairman of the newly created Father Involvement Research Alliance."

The story is also great because it hits on a wonderful and under-reported story about the staggeringly low expectations placed on fathers. "Societal expectations for fathers are so low, [University of Guelph's Kerry] Daly noted, that the news media often portray involved fathers as heroes -- suggesting good fathers are the exception, not the norm." I don't want to go about father-bashing, but I am treated like a super-dad by a good many people I meet for the simple reason that I spend lots of time with my kid. I think I'm a good parent, but I get extra credit because there are plenty of under-involved dads. Good moms don't get the same boost.

My only complaint is that the story makes it sound like the U.S. is some sort of super-supportive home for fathers ("...Canada lags behind the United States and Australia in developing resources for fathers ...") ... really? Though father groups exist, I don't see them having much pull, or drawing much attention.

The new Canadian effort promises to a wide-ranging look, and I'll do my best to keep up with what they're up to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home