Friday, April 16, 2004

One of the great joys of blogging is that I don't have an editor hanging just behind me, smacking me whenever I becoming dangerously repetitive. I can, with impunity, repeat the same point, over and over and over again. Consider yourself warned.

Maureen Ryan of the Chicago Tribune penned this very well-thought out piece on the "Mommy Wars": that perpetual, artificial who-is-the-better-person debate between at-home moms and mothers who work outside the house. Let me say up front that this is a most thoughtful call for a truce at a most opportune time. (Ryan cites "The Mommy Myth," the Time cover story and Caitlin Flanagan's bizarre "Nanny Wars" piece in the Atlantic as evidence that the media has again seized on the issue.)

Now I'll start repeating myself: the debate over the mommy wars is not likely to abate until society begins to recognize that raising children is not the sole sphere of the mother. Ryan (like the "Mommy Myth" authors, like Flanagan, like Time, like everyone else) skips over the role of men in creating a more parent-friendly society. (Though she asks: "Isn't the point that, as a society, we could do a lot more to acknowledge that women's work patterns are often different from men's?" I could invert that idea: we could do a lot more to acknowledge that many men's feelings about the family are not all that different from women's -- but expectations of the work world continue to be very different.)

Can I see a world in which women have acceptable work-family choices? Sure. But that world will appear much more quickly if there's a growing acknowledgement that women and men both need better choices.

(Credit where credit is due: the first post I saw on the Ryan piece was on Apartment 11D. Christine at Ms. Musings also flags the article.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home