Monday, November 15, 2004

Quickie Magazine Roundup. Fair warning: my life has again taken a turn for the chaotic, so posting this week may be sporadic and brief. But I will be at the At-Home Dad Convention this weekend, and will post (perhaps sporadically and briefly) from that event.

But I wanted to flag three magazine bits worth noting. The first is Caitlin Flanagan's latest piece in the New Yorker on baby-related overconsumption. This is, I believe, piece number two for the New Yorker, and she seems to have entirely squelched her tendency to use every assignment as a way -- backhandly or not -- to take a swipe at working women. As I noted in June, Flanagan seems to be ignoring the mommy wars bits altogether. This is major progress: at the Atlantic, she managed to take swipes regardless of topic (nannies, sex and 50s housewives all segued into implicit or explicit working-mom bashing).

I have no idea whether Caitlin has had a change of heart or whether David Remnick is less tolerant of such ranting, but I'll take it, either way. And I have a new pledge: as long as this new leaf remains turned over, I won't waste any more space talking about Flanagan. (You can, as always, look to Greg for analysis in the future. Like the good consumer he is, he has listed all the objects of consumption that Flanagan mentions in the piece.)

Second, RebelMom and I had interesting reaction upon reading the "Dads" page in the latest Parents. It covered how to talk to toddlers about football and the appropriate age to stop taking your daughter into men's rooms. In addition to some slightly weird advice, we agreed that the page read suspiciously like something not conceived of by a dad. Thoughts?

Finally, Best Life -- a Men's Health spinoff -- has a story in its December issue about work-life balance ... in men. Leaving aside my amazement that a men's magazine would even touch the subject, it was very well-done, getting not only the stats right, but also pushing the angle that running faster on the corporate treadmill is not the way to balance or happiness. Amen to that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home