Friday, December 10, 2004

Sure, I blog. But let's face reality: I'm already behind the curve. The next great revolution in communications is supposed to be Podcasting, or so I read. But I don't Podcast. I don't even have a pod. (Yet. A non-Apple MP3 player is on its way as we speak.)

But a guy named Dan Klass has already staked his position as the first (?) at-home dad podcaster and was featured in this Christian Science Monitor piece on the phenomenon. His show, "The Bitterest Pill," is archived here. I already like this Klass guy. He is an actor -- and could therefore reject the title of at-home dad -- but his podcasting page describes him as an "at-home dad/shut in." Go Dan.

On the subject of what title ("actor" or "at-home dad") to embrace, Jammer from Homo domesticus has clarified his decision to walk away from the "at-home dad" title:
It seems to me that what I object to on some level is the seeming limitation of the label of "stay at home dad". It strikes me as every bit as limiting and non-explanatory as the older label of "housewife" or "homemaker" was to another generation. Perhaps that is just my own biases rearing up too strongly. Perhaps to many other SAHD contains multitudes. I don't know.
I understand where he's coming from. "Rebel Dad" was chosen in part to get around those exact semantic issue.

Finally, those who are interested in exploring "ER"'s examination of parenthood would be well-advised to go back and read Half Changed World's post on the topic. Thanks for the reminder, Elizabeth.

Enjoy your weekend all. I'm off to see what this Klass guy has to say ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home