Monday, June 06, 2005

Some good news (I think) just in time for Father's Day: according to this survey a whopping 62 percent of guys making six figures would consider taking an extended leave to be an at-home dad. This is, of course, a huge number. It's quite possible that the survey is all screwed up (these surveys so often are), but if we take it at face value, it says something wonderful: a majority of these guys aren't put off by the stigma of staying home. For years and years and years, the big problem was that guys who stayed home were viewed as somehow less manly. But with 62 percent of rich guys weighing a go at the SAHD lifestyle, I don't think loss of status is as big a problem.

On the flip side, these well-off guys may be considering an at-home stint, but the executive washroom isn't exactly empty. There is something keeping men at work. Money is obviously part of it, and I'm curious to know what else.

The survey has some other interesting bits: 69 percent of guys would rather watch a kid's soccer game than keynote a conference (which strikes me as implausible). Also, the surveyed asked guys how much paternity leave their employers allowed. Forty-five percent said "none," 12 percent said four weeks and 18 percent said eight weeks. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the federal government mandate 12 weeks? (I suppose the respondents could have been thinking about *paid* leave, but I doubt that 30-plus percent of employers are offering that.)

All in all, plenty to make you go "hmmmm ..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home