Wednesday, September 07, 2005

I had hoped to start blogging about the 10th annual At-Home Dad Convention next week, maybe the week after. But Peter Baylies has opened the issue, posting the unofficial schedule for the day. It looks good, and I plan to be there.

The morning is given over to Kyle Pruett, who was so wonderful last year. It looks like Pruett will have even more of a role than he did a year ago (Pruett could have answered questions all day). The afternoon will be taken up by more of the usual grab-bag, though -- as I mentioned earlier in the summer -- I've been bumped. (They're doing a "What's It Like to be Married to an At-Home Dad" discussion instead).

If there's a theme for the afternoon, it's looking ahead to the next 10 years of at-home fatherhood and "growing the national at-home dad community." Unfortunately, the same guys who did so much over the last 10 years are leading that discussion. The folks who run the convention are wonderful people, and the event is truly a must-attend. But it's pretty clear to me that the future of at-home dads is electronic. Blogs and local groups with website and listservs will do the vital job of connecting dad with dad over the next decade. Face-to-face efforts like the convention will always be welcome, but the at-home dad "agenda" of dealing with isolation has a wired future.

That's why I'm working so hard to keep this blogroll up to date, and why I'm into the RSS/tags/social bookmarks/OPML geekery. I want this site to be one of many that creates a network of support that is unavoidable for anyone looking to plug in. But other than Peter -- who has four posts in the last six month -- there are no other convention leaders in the blogosphere (that I'm aware of). And slowlane.com, which has held the no. 1 Google spot for at-home dad since I started the gig, hasn't been updated in years despite my annual offer of help. It's too outdated to serve as a useful resource.

In short, you guys are the future.

So I'll go to the convention to get my fix of unity and in-person support, and I hope to see you all there. But I'm not sure that the answers 10 years ago will be applicable over the next 10 years.

I'd like to run a Rebel Dad event in conjunction with the convention. I don't want to compete directly, so I'm thinking a morning-after brunch on Sunday, near the hotel. I'll probably set up a wiki in the coming weeks to poll on places to hold the brunch and to serve as a place to sign up. I'd love to really get the chance to meet and talk to you. We'll keep it exclusive: only readers who make themselves known to me before the convention.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home