Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Updated Stay-At-Home Dad Statistics

Though I've been dutifully reporting, via posts, the latest from the Census Bureau and others on the current SAHD statistics, it's been some time since I updated the stay-at-home dad statistics page here. I did some work last night, and it should be more or less up to date now.

The at-home dad stats page is one of the most popular on the site, so I should probably offer the standard disclaimer here: I don't believe there is any particularly great set of numbers for quantifying at-home fathers. The "official" numbers exclude so many fathers as to be nearly useless, and other measures -- while providing numbers that are probably closer to reality -- are flawed in their own ways. Colloquially, "2 million" seems to be the most plausible number for men who are primary caretakers, a number that would grow significantly if we added in single dads, part-time workers, etc.

As always, I am looking for more numbers to talk about, so please flag any omissions you may find.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home