Tuesday, July 08, 2003

It's that time of month again ... Parenting Magazine has arrived at my door. And, as has been the case lately, I'm not too happy about it. The decision to redesign the magazine and at the same time make it more mom-centric seems to have stuck, and I've pledged to just let it go and accept that the fine glossy that appears on my doorstep early each month is simply a mislabeled copy of something called "Mothering" magazine.

I'm sure Parenting's marketing and ad people have their reasons, and far be it for me to say that they're destroying a magazine that was, last year, the recipient of the nation's most prestigious mag award. (It still reads well, and I still find it compelling. It's just clear that no one seems the least bit interested in capturing my point of view). I'm clearly still on the outside looking in (cover line: "When you say no and he says yes.") The fact that dads are ignored subtly reinforces a set of nasty stereotypes about men as caregivers. And that's the real shame.

Being Daddy links to this Miami Herald story on Father's Day. It has a whole bunch of experts explaining why Father's Day just isn't as big a deal as Mother's Day because let's face it -- the story reasons -- dad's just aren't as crucial to families as mom is. And the battle continues.

But let me leave you smiling: a St. Louis columnist got to answer this wonderful softball of a question: "Dear Ask Julia:

Recently we have been blessed with a new baby girl – she's just three weeks old now and we are totally in love with her. Before we knew she was coming to us so soon, we bought a house. The closing is upon us, and the move is underway – as is the unbelievable heat wave. I have an amazing husband who is coping beautifully with it all. He's the stay-at-home dad and the moving company all wrapped up in one. I need a creative, thoughtful way to say thanks and tell him how much I appreciate and love him. He's truly an incredible individual. Since you are so creative and thoughtful - not to mention witty and insightful - I thought I'd seek your advice. So, what do you think? How do I say thanks in a wonderful, meaningful way?

Thanks,
A proud mommy and very happy wife
"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home