Tuesday, December 09, 2003

Time for a new Rebel Dad contest! One of the obvious pet peeves over here is the fact that "mother" is often used synonymously with "parent." The idea that there are fathers doing the parenting is foreign. The usual complaints have been directed at some of the "parenting" magazines and commercials, but I'm looking for new candidates. I'll take articles, statements and advertisements that all suggest that the caregiving role belongs with only one sex.

I'll throw out the first entry, from the first line of a column in yesterday's Washington Post:

" No one knows the growing pressure of balancing work, family and play dates like moms. "

No one? I'll stack my pressures up against the author's any day, and I suspect there are plenty of other at-home dads who would, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home