Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Want a happy marriage? Be supportive co-parents. That's the message of a new study out of Ohio State. Researchers checked in on 46 families both 6 months after a child arrived and then again at 3 years.

Families that had figured out how to have complimentary parenting styles at 6 months were more likely to have happy marriages at 3 years. "This suggests," said one of the authors, Sarah Schoppe-Sullivan, "that the quality of the early coparenting relationship is particularly important for the quality of the marriage."

I don't have hard data to prove this, but I suspect (as does American University's Joan Williams) that parenting roles are more equal and better-spelled-out in families where dad is the primary caretaker. On the other hand, I'm not my feeling squares with the fact that marital strife tends to be higher in non-traditional families.

I received the first review of Spike TV's This Just In, suggesting that the at-home dad character, in addition to coming off as a wimp, is also "most dishonest of all the characters in the show."

In other TV news, ABC appears to be looking for at-home dads for a show where families swap parents for 10 days. Let me know if any of you make the cut. I'll set my VCR.

Also ... at-home dad Joe Mozian kicked off "My Life is a Sitcom II" earlier this month. Joe, no dount, would like you all to tune in to ABC Family at 7:30 p.m. eastern on Sundays.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home