Friday, August 12, 2005

A couple of random things today. For starters, I'm about to do away with the Work-Life links, for the simple reason that they don't work on Internet Explorer. You should be using Firefox anyway, but I'll take 'em down anyway.

Also: Dads and Daughters is now also looking for FMLA stories (pro and con). If you can, send 'em an e-mail at info@dadsanddaughters.org.

Finally, I was sent a link to a slick-looking site called The Funky Stork, all about expectant fatherhood. It's all good information and well worth the look (particularly if you are, you know, an expectant father).

But in aggregate, I didn't think it was worthy of bookmarking. And the more I thought about it, the more I realized that there tends to be a fundamental disconnect with fathering how-to literature. I'm not a particularly enthusiastic reader of the genre, though I do have quite a collection. I think that's because, at the end of the day, most of the elements of parenting are obvious. You don't need a reference manual for your child, nor do you -- particularly -- need a parenting magazine. This goes for moms and dads. If every copy of the "What to Expect" series were to disappear, we'd probably be a happier, better-adjusted nation.

Dads don't usually need instruction, they generally need time with the family. They need to know it's a role that they are allowed to play, that it is something acceptable and fulfilling and important to their child's development. This is why I am significantly more optimistic about paternity leave making men more active dads than prenatal fathering classes at the hospital: it's not about how to do the dad thing, it's about actually doing it.

Still, I wish the Funky Stork people the best of luck. The mere existence of sites like theirs sends a message that dads are part of the process, and that may be the most important message the site can send.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home