Thursday, June 15, 2006

Dads of the World, Unite (?)

So I was pawing through the messages on the DCMetroDads listserv when I came across this posting:
National Stay at home fathers group formed: Daddyshome, Inc.

Springfield, VA, June 10, 2006: National stay at home fathers'? organization formed. The vision of Daddyshome is to be the principal voice for stay at home fathers and those who are thinking about becoming stay at home fathers. The mission of the organization is to provide support and resources by setting up a network of stay at home fathers throughout the country. According to the President of Daddyshome, Peter Steinberg, the focus of Daddyshome will be on stay at home fathers but will also advocate for all fathers. Steinberg states, "Fathers Day is just around the corner - a day that we celebrate the contribution fathers make in the lives of their children." For more information on Daddyshome contact Peter Steinberg at 703-209-8750 or steinbergfamily@yahoo.com.
I've heard about this effort for some time -- the daddyshome.org website (not yet up) has been reserved for four years. But I'm not certain, exactly, what a national dad's group would do, or what Daddyhome Inc. intends. I believe there's been effort to formally incorporate, get nonprofit status, etc., but I'm still a little shaky on the need that's being filled.

I don't want to sound cranky -- I've long wished that there was a formal, national dads group, if only to help convey a sense of a broad fraternity -- but I'm less certain what such a group would do. As I've said before, I feel like at-home dads are best served by a local group -- actual, physical guys who can directly battle the isolation that is often cited. There are exceptions, of course (someone has to put on the convention), but on the whole, I don't think there's a whole lot of national advocacy to be done.

I'm curious to get your take: any idea what Daddyshome is up to? Any idea what they should be up to?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home