Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Understanding Parenting

One of the most amazing aspects of the internet is that it has prompted an absolute explosion in the amount of writing on parenting available in the universe. And yet, for all of the millions and millions of words being generated, precious little of it is very good at all.

So I was thrilled to read the executive editor of Salon's essay on parenthood, "September Song," which managed to be thoughtful and touching and novel. There are some great nuggets in there, and it's worth reading as a reminder that -- through all of the day-to-day trivialities of raising kids -- there is something exceedingly unique and profound about that experience.

And now for something completely different: I've been considering a tattoo for some time, and I have to say that I haven't seen anything quite as nifty as this one in some time. Sure, the handprint may have been done before, but I love the inscription:
I put the quote ANCORA IMPARO underneath, which is
Italian for "I am still learning." Those were Michelangelo's alleged last words, and as an artist and a teacher, I found the words to be pretty significant. Add in being a new Dad, and well, that says it all.
ANCORA IMPARO. Ain't we all?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home