Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Weird Title, Nice Piece

I read a surprising Red Herring piece the other day on stay-at-home dads in Silicon Valley. It was surprising for a few reasons.

1. I had no idea Red Herring was still around.
2. The title is "Are Men Obsolete?" which I thought was a funny way into the discussion.
3. I couldn't figure out if it was celebrating the reverse-traditional family or lamenting how rare it is in the valley.

It's a nice read, at any rate, and it discusses a pocket of guys that I assume are out there but read little about -- gentlemen who a) became quite wealthy in the last boom and b) also have high-achieving spouses. And, to the article's credit, it also takes some time exploring the reasons why high-tech-land seems to be male-dominated.

I should also note that there is a Silicon Valley Dad's group. The web site looks surprisingly retro for a group in the technology capital of the world, but the group is active. If you're in the area, look 'em up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home