Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Naval-Gazing on the Subject of Modern Men

You know, for as much as I argue that we should take a good long look at how we define masculinity right now, it might be possible to overdo that analysis. Case-in-point: this Denver Post piece that tries super-hard to figure out what men should be, nowadays. While the overall conclusion -- men can be mellowed-out caretakers -- isn't one I have any beef with, I get nervous whenever someone tries to argue that an entire gender is (or should be) headed in one direction.

All I want is for guys to have more choices about the way they construct their lives. I don't want some deep debate about What That All Means that somehow involves George Clooney or John Wayne. It means more freedom and, hopefully, more satisfaction with life. End of story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home