Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I'm Going to be a Million Man Marcher

I was registering the big one for her new elementary school the other day, and I received a flier about the "Million Man March" on the first day of school. This was all new to me -- the only Million Man March that was really in my consciousness was the famous one in 1995.

But the new iteration of the march is an effort by the Black Star Project to get dads to take their children to school on the first day. It's explicitly aimed at black dads, but I think it's a great idea no matter what your race (my school district presented it as a race-neutral thing). The more dads are integrated into the life of their kid's school and the more than dads see each other in the hallways, the more we can normalize the idea of fathers as a substantial part of the education of their children.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home