Friday, December 19, 2003

Posts are likely to get fewer and father between, as I embark Tuesday on a six-flight, two-destination holiday season (a trip home and a trip to a destination wedding on New Year's Day). Fortunately, no one is writing much for me to comment upon. Except ...

Paul Glastris, the editor-in-chief of The Washington Monthly, one of those wonky magazines that are read by the same people who watch every single Sunday morning political talk shows religiously, has a piece on TomPaine.com that calls for a Democrat to introduce a "Family Stress Relief Act." Glastris' plan has three main components: 1) universal after-school programs 2) paid family leave (financed through an interesting, insurance-like system) and 3) social security credits for at-home parents.

It sounds like great, can't-miss politics, but I happen to be the very kind of voter such a plan is fashioned for, so I don't trust my own opinion. If the idea gets kicked around much in the blogosphere, I'll post more. I have thoughts on all three prongs, but I lack the time now to go into them. Maybe if the "Family Stress Relief Act" was enacted, I'd have the time for that extra blogging ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home