Friday, November 19, 2004

DATELINE DES PLAINES: You asked for it ... (or at least a couple of your did) so here are some quick updates from the At-Home Dad Convention in Chicago. For starters, this didn't look like a promising trip. Nothing worse than a middle seat. But ... Hertz is out of Ford Focuses, so I was forced to accept a Mustang instead. Lemon yellow. I'm traveling in style this weekend.

I hit Kyle Pruett's talk tonight. He'll speak tomorrow -- with more of an at-home dad focus -- but his presentation tonight was wonderful. I'd read his stuff but never heard him speak before, and I won't pass up the opportunity to do it again.

Pruett is tuned into a lot of things that feel like the cutting edge of fatherhood, trends that seem to be emerging. He talked a fair amount about work-family stress and the way it hits fathers. I know that I ramble on here incessantly about work-family street, but it was encouraging to hear the world's authority on fatherhood say, in no uncertain terms, that work-family stress is "the first social plague of the 21st century."

More to come ... off to catch up with the boys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home