Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Thank goodness for good and loyal readers. I was worried I would have nothing to talk about this week -- the media seem to have gone silent on the subject of fathers -- but I've been rescued by e-mail. The most interesting came from Mark from Long Island, who pointed me to a parent-child music class aimed at fathers. It's called "Daddy and Me" -- obviously singling out dads.

This is one of those small signs of big change. A single music class in the wilds of Long Island probably isn't enough to attract CNN camera crews, but it is a marker of how much more involved fathers are and how much more society is aware of involved fathers. Such a class would have been unthinkable when I was growing up, and I'd be willing to bet that a "Daddy and Me" music session would have tanked even 10 or 15 years ago. Heck, I honestly believe that dads have become a significantly larger presence at my preschool over the last 18 months. Again, I really wonder if involved fatherhood broadly (and at-home dads specifically) are approaching a tipping point.

Certainly, the at-home dads in Green Bay are trying to get to that tipping point. I've added a link to their Yahoo! group in the list to your left.

Finally, a podcasting update: the first RebelDad Radio Show is still a go for this weekend, and I can announce that my first guest interview will be with AtHomeDad himself, Peter Baylies, who wrote The At-Home Dad Handbook.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home