Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Armin Brott, better known as "Mr. Dad" took on another SAHD topic in his latest syndicated column, discussing how and why you might want to set up a dads' group. Brott gives plenty of good ideas on why such groups are important -- reasons that I wholeheartedly support -- but the how-to isn't as robust as it could be (and refers people to slowlane.com for more info. C'mon Armin. Give *me* a little love). That's probably a reflection of his space requirements. Still, if you're interested, check out the definitive guide on the topic, written by the great Dayton Dads.

And I don't know how I missed this one, if I was in a summer lull or if Daddy Types failed to bring it to my attention, but there was a strange fashion piece in New York magazine this summer featuring a stay-at-home dad. Leaving aside the fashion advice, it's one more piece of evidence that active fatherhood is becoming the norm:
When I first started, I felt like I was getting lots of stares from nannies and mothers alike. Now I walk down our block in Brooklyn and there's five guys pushing a stroller, so I'm no longer the odd man out.
But I'm not all good news today. One of the articles that Keith has added to the rebeldad bookmarks in del.icio.us is about a law professor's quest to make it home for dinner with his family. The guy, Cameron Stracher, had a Wall Street Journal piece on the subject. He has, of course, a blog and he's sold a book proposal on the subject. Now I wish Stracher, who has a 110-mile round-trip commute to work, the best of luck. But when did actually eating with your family become a major media event?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home