Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Feedback, here and elsewhere. It's been a good few days for members of the public writing interesting things to a range of publications, via letters to the editor, web postings and (in the case of Rebel Dad Radio) e-mails and audio comments. Let me start with Slate, where a reader had this to say in response to a review of the latest mommying book, "Perfect Madness":
The attitudes of the older generation of fathers can been heard when an older man refers to taking care of his own children as "babysitting," or playing "Mr. Mom." It is not babysitting when you are taking care of your own children, its PARENTING, and doing so does not make you a mom. Most Gen-X fathers understand this, and those that don't need to get with the program. When they do, the mothers, fathers, and children will all be better off.
Though I am beyond sick of the "Perfect Madness" hype, I am still intensely interested in the response it is provoking. A profile of author Judith Warner in my hometown Washington Post was enough to generate these letters, including the one that read, in part:
[The Warner story] ... left me wondering why I have never seen a book published by a man lamenting his failure to be the perfect business partner/father/husband/community volunteer.

My husband naps on the couch while the kids run around eating whatever they want. His behavior is viewed by my friends as lame but acceptable, being just one of the many dad styles out there to choose from.
Fortunately, the napping-on-the-couch style of fatherhood is rather less popular than it used to be. Wonder if the aforementioned couch-napping husband is a Gen X guy. You know where my money is ...

Finally, feedback has been flowing on my question regarding the future frequency of Rebel Dad Radio. Right now, the majority says they'd be content with less frequent, but perhaps higher-quality, podcasts. I'm still gathering opinions, but I'll come to a decision by Sunday's show.

If you want to give feedback, Elizabeth from Half Changed World has a worthy target (from the comments to the latest RDR):
The new issue of Brain, Child has 3 letters (from women) asking why it's not "the magazine for thinking parents" (rather than mothers) and an answer from the editors.

They say they've only heard from one dad on the subject. Might be worth dropping them a line...
The issue isn't online yet, but I plan on picking it up on my next newsstand run and dropping those find folks a letter. Brain, Child is in some ways a wonderful and unusually thoughtful parenting magazine, but the seem to have the usual disdain for dad-as-parent (remember my rant following their at-home dad story?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home