Thursday, March 31, 2005

Returning to normalcy. Here is some of the geekery I promised: When rebeldad.com launched, long ago and far away, with an ugly URL and an even uglier color scheme, it was intended as a resource. I wanted the site to be the best possible reference for current at-home dad media mentions.

There was hardly any at-home dad blogosphere to speak of then, unlike the large and growing list at right (which has grown again today; more on that in a moment) and so I did not begin tracking in detail what was said across the blog world. Now, at-home dad blogs are too numerous to track all of the different conversations. Luckily, new tools are emerging that will make it easier to keep tracks of your favorite SAHD blogs. I'd like to highlight two.

1. Del.icio.us is a "social bookmark" network that allows everyone to see your bookmarks. This is interesting. But what's really interesting is that you can add a one-word "tag" that people can also search under. In short, I can see every bookmark from every del.icio.us user tagged "SAHD." It's a small list now, but as I (and, hopefully others) add "SAHD" links, the list will expand to be much more comprehensive than the one I maintain on this site. So if you're already a del.icio.us user, I'd encourage you to begin using the SAHD tag. And if you're not, it might be something worth noodling with. (Furl also does something similar, but I haven't tackled it yet. And Flickr does the same for photos, but there aren't any good SAHD applications I can think of. Yet.)

2. Technorati also tracks tags -- but rather than bookmark tags, it tracks tags placed within blogs by the bloggers themselves. I've established a tag there, too, and I'd encourage at-home dad bloggers to start using the SAHD tag. Anyone looking for more info can track me down; I'll try to better explain why I think this is cool.

If you want to remain retro, keep referring to my expanding list of at-home dads. Newcomers include so-to-be-at-home-dad Mr. Nice Guy, Not In Kansas Anymore, which I've failed to add once before (a thousand apologies) and Poppa Large. At some point, I'll alpha the list; it's getting a bit long to continue to organize it randomly.

(As always, let me know if you want on the list. I keep it restricted to self-described at-home dads, though there are other dad blogs out there that don't make the list that you should probably be reading. If you meet the criterion, drop me a line.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home