Monday, January 03, 2005

Confession: I've kept personal details to a minimum on this site, as much out of concern for reader boredom as my own privacy, but I need to take a moment out today for full disclosure. Tomorrow, I will enter a shiny office tower and fill out the paperwork required for a job that I accepted last month. I'll begin work in earnest a week from today. I'll continue my work on this site -- perhaps at slightly more irregular hours.

It is not news that I'll be working; many readers understand that I have worked -- at varying intensities -- as a freelance journalist during the three years I've stayed home. At one point, I even held down what was technically a full-time job. But I have always had the freedom to work from my home and to set my own schedule. Now, I will be leaving the house on a regular basis for the first time in almost three years. I'm fortunate in many respects. I've asked for that my time in the office be compressed into 15 hours, and I plan to make up the remainder of the time from home during the pockets of availability that I've built into my life.

Despite this, I intend to keep the focus of the site on at-home fatherhood, though I reserve the right to post (as I have on the past) on work-family balance issues more broadly. At-home fatherhood is a key component to solving the child care dilemmas of the 21st century, an option that offers increasingly well-documented benefits to father, mother and child alike. The guys at the convention assured me that a paycheck would not bar me from the fraternity, and there is no group of men with whom I would rather be counted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home